Monday, August 03, 2009

Welcome to the Gun Show - Day 11

Camden and I had a very relaxing weekend and were so happy to finally see Mommy again. We rewarded Camden for his hard work with a dip in the pool on Saturday and some mouseplay at Chuck E Cheese on Sunday. Nana made some wonderful home cooking and Edie Xanders, along with her darling twin daughters and her mother Kate, dropped by on Saturday with a very special FSU colored bear and shawl that Ms. Holman's church had specifically made and blessed for Camden. The sermon on Sunday dealt with the message of courage and strength through tough times and it made me smile to thank how much God has truly blessed us with Camden.

All of the prayers and support seem to be paying off as Camden didn't miss a beat on his final Monday of therapy. He continues to show progress with his upper body control and motor movements, but the one thing that really stands out to Becky and I is how strong he has become. His calves and biceps are noticeably larger and tighter and now we are just waiting for him to rip his clothes and turn green. All of this new strength is helping him to get into new positions and stay in them for longer periods of time. Now all we need is for his brain to remember how he got there.

The rest of the day was filled with his normal routines and exercises with some longer reps included. He did try one new drill in the frog swing. Basically this is a swing that extends almost all of the way to the ground and Camden must lie in it on his stomach and push off with his hands and knees to travel forward. He did excellent with this exercise despite all of the grunts and moans, which we have decided will one day make him an excellent tennis player. Tomorrow's session will be from 1:30 - 5:30 due to some scheduling conflicts and we are hopeful the later time will help with his energy levels. 4 more days to go but I think I am really going to miss this place, Camden, of course, would disagree.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You all are working hard to finish the course. We are grateful for each participant, and are lifting you each up. ---I went to nursing school with a lady named Xanders, and I believe it is the twins' paternal grandmother. I hate that I can't remember her first name, but I remember her as a sweet, gentle lady. It is a small world -- and I appreciate the support you recieve from all corners. Love you, Grandma Mona

Anonymous said...

Hello Cam and Kevin! This is Marc from DLC. Becky gave me the blog info today and I have loved every posting! You guys are in my thoughts and prayers and Camden is doing so great. I don't think there is any question that he has earned the cape and should be granted full Super Hero status. I really loved the sit to stands last Friday. That was awesome improvement. Can't wait to see you in Jax.

Camzmommy said...

Honey, you continue to crack me up with your humorous accounts of Camden's therapy! He is the Incredible Hunk!
Mom and Dad--you're going to be surprised when you see him on Thursday. I'm so glad you'll have the chance to see all the hard stuff he's been working on. There's 2 words that come to mind: pride and gratitude. Pride in what Camden's been able to accomplish through God's power and mercy, and gratitude for everything we've gained through God's love and purpose for Camden. We need to make sure HE gets the credit for all of this. Thanks for mentioning it in the blog, Kevin!

Betsy said...

Camden has brought revival to my heart so many times! He's taught me more in his little life than I will ever learn in mine! Words cannot express how proud I am and how good God has been! We are witnessing one of God's own miracles go down! Amazing! In awe, Aunt Betsy:)